THE BENEFITS OF MANUKA HONEY
Manuka honey is a wonderful healing food that helps to support the immune system, boost nutrition, promote energy and well-being. It also improves wound healing, skin regeneration and can be used for ulcer treatment.
During the 1980s Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) was discovered by a research team at Waikato University, in a New Zealand honey produced by bees that pollinate the ‘Manuka Bush’. They discovered that Manuka Honey containing UMF has higher levels of enzymes than regular honey. These enzymes create a natural hydrogen peroxide that works as an incredible antibacterial agent.
The UMF rating is now used as an international gold standard indicating the medicinal quality of Manuka honey.
The New Zealand research team found that Manuka honey does some amazing things. It;
– Boosts the immune system
– Acts as an antioxidant and prevents free radicals from forming
– Has a powerful antiinflammatory activity – 4 x more potent than other types of honey
– It kills bad gut bacteria (but not beneficial ones) and can soothe digestive upsets
– Fights harmful bacterial infections in the mouth, which causes gum disease
– Fights some viruses that causes respiratory infections
Manuka honey with UMF has a wide range of healing applications such as:
Soothing a Sore Throat
Put 1 – 2 tablespoons of Manuka honey in half a mug of warm water with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a squeeze of lemon – sip slowly.
Healing balm for burns
As soon as possible apply a layer of high UMF honey to the affected areas and cover with an adhesive bandage. Reapply the Manuka honey twice daily until the skin looks normal again.
Choose a Manuka product with a UMF factor of 15+ and apply the honey directly onto the gums immediately after brushing.
Resolving Acid Reflux
Take 1 teaspoon of the honey 20 minutes before meals and before bed time – you may like to take the honey dissolved in a small glass of warm water.
Mix one tablespoon of the honey with milk of your choice before bedtime and drink.
Mix 5 teaspoons or Manuka honey with 1 teaspoon of pink himalayan salt- mix these two ingredients together and store it in a glass jar. Put a little of this mixture under your tongue every night before you go to sleep letting it dissolve.
Mix Manuka honey with a few drops of warm water and apply gently to acne prone areas – leave it for 15-20 minutes and rinse it off with water.
Manuka Honey is a really great way to support your general nutrition and well-being because it is so rich in nutrients like amino acids, B vitamins and minerals. Manuka honey is up to 4 times richer in nutritional contents than normal honey flower!
How to take Manuka
For best results Manuka honey can be taken in a variety of ways such as:
- 1-2 tablespoons of daily for general well-being
- It can be added to your favourite herbal tea or over yoghurt
- Great added to your baking as a natural sweetener. As Manuka honey is sweeter than sugar, you can use less – about ½ cup of honey per one cup sugar
- Manuka honey is great combined with cinnamon to promote energy, balance, blood sugars, boost immune health and provide anti-inflammatory benefits – Take 1 tablespoon of Manuka Honey and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a warm cup of water and stir well – 1 x daily
If you have been looking for a great way to add a natural healing food to your daily diet consider the
delicious benefits of Manuka honey, in-store and on sale now!
Written by: Fleur Price Naturopath & Nutritionist
To book in with Fleur simply call our team at Indooroopilly on 33788698